SITO / Discussions / sito.id.adr
Re: Jeannie Pepper
by Richard E. Adams [adr SITOme] [email Richard E. Adams] 2001-10-19 07:42:40 [3245]
Wow! That's almost like a Zen koan. I will assume an unreachable reality, as used here, means a reality I wish I could attain/hold/have/reach but cannot (there are some unreachable realities that we are glad we cannot reach). It is possible that all realities are unreachable because the moment we reach it, or are about to reach it, it changes and we change. We and reality are not separate things; we participate in reality. Our fantasy about, or the images we carry in our mind regarding an event or activity that we cannot directly and physically experience, is, in a sense, still a reality or a connection or relationship with the fantasized or perceived event/activity. My drawings are often about a reality I wish I could directly, physically, and personally experience, but for various reasons, is an unreachable reality. But through the act of drawing, I attempt to connect with that person, object, event, activity, and in some way make alive for me that which I cannot have or cannot experience first-hand. A flat distortion is a vestige (if I am spelling and using the word correctly) of, and a tribute to, for example a woman who I may fantasize about, and/or a past relationship that disappointingly ended. I don't love being in emotional pain, heartbreak or disappointment. But that seems to be the nature of my life. Being able to make a flat distortion that is pleasing to me is something that I hope I will never lose. Although I have not exactly given an answer, I appreciate your question. To have a mountain, there must also be "that which is not mountain"; the one cannot be without the other.
In reply to:
Re: Jeannie Pepper

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.