SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
Re: The "other" gridcosm
by Ed [eeb SITOme]  2004-10-10 00:03:56 [10130]
Tes.. I have been to the ICE site before. I found it, and the Gridcosm, when I was planning on starting a web project called "The Chain". As i was discussing the concept with smeone they siad "Hey, there is already a site like that" but they cold not remeber the name. Anyway, I did a search and found ICE, Gridcosm and some other similar places. I like the lawlessness of the grid. Ice seemed a bit snooty to me.

In case anyone cares... my idea for the Chain went something like this:

Each chain would have a theme. A link (like a tile in the Gridcosm)is made by somebody, call them Artist 1, on the theme. This "link" is placed on a web page, but it is mostly hidden; all you can see is a thin strip of the right edge.

Like:

Where "-" is the hidden bits and "0" is the visible bits.

So Artist 2 gets the link and has the visible strip as a starting point and makes his link. Once the second link is placed on-line, the first link is revealed, but the new second link is mostly hidden, again, except for the right-hand edge.

Like this:

00000000------00
00000000------00
00000000------00
00000000------00

And so on down the chain. The chain is visible except for most of the last link.

For variation, there could be vertical chains, where the links are joined top to bottom, chains that snake around (ie. each artist chooses whih edge to reveal: right, top, or bottom. And of course there could be different chains with different themes; perhaps even a "no theme" chain. The chains cold be open ended or with a set number of links. They cold be opne it anyone of there could be invite only chains.

I tried to get one going but I cold not seem to get enough like-minded folks interested, and I was bit worried about the logistics, as I am an artist and a designer, not a programmer, so I would not be albe to make it automated.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Or was just joining the Grid the best choice?

In reply to:
The "other" gridcosm.
Replies:
Re: The "other" gridcosm.
Re: The "other" gridcosm.
Re: The "other" gridcosm ..
Re: The "other" gridcosm

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.