SITO / Discussions / sito.artchive
Re: 'LONGIVITY OF ART OBJECTS'
by Sylvia [skm SITOme] [email Sylvia] 2005-03-30 11:12:07 [11772]
Hi- this is straight of the cuff as they say, so please excuse any spelling, grammer etc. I am going to be the Devils Advocate here Mr Dawk! Hope you don't mind. First and formost, why would we want or need to leave our mark on earth? I am not saying it is a bad aim to work towards - but can we not say the same about our kids, grandbabies, great grandbabies etc. I hope to leave my mark in the hearts and minds of other people. I hope than when I discard this mortal coil - I will have touched at least a few people and their lives. I do believe I have managed to do this too some degree. And if now and again I am remembered - just a passing thought and a smile. That for me is ace. My art and my writing are just the icing on the cake. OK if someone gets pleasure from one of my drawings or writings - or if it just makes them stop and think - then that is great too. Another point I would like to make is..... I am presuming that most of the people on this site create out of their own free will, for a living and/or pleasure, and maybe some yearn for fame and fortune. Athough I some times think we didn't have a lot of choice in being creative (it chose us) where as a lot of the very old artifacts were actualy created under duress. It would be the slave who carried that rock to build a pyramid. It would have been payed for in blood like the Inca Art, Easter Island, The beautiful churches, temples etc etc. And not much of it would have been art for arts sake.It was usualy to appease some God or other. Therefore I do think that that is a slight flaw in your argument.(I think!) BUT it is good thought provoking piece of writing, and I enjoyed reading it very much.

PEACE from sylvia

In reply to:
'LONGIVITY OF ART OBJECTS'

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.