SITO / Discussions / sito.artchive
categories are dead; long live tags
by Jon Van Oast [uwi SITOme] [email Jon Van Oast] 2005-05-09 21:08:12 [12354]
i have turned on the ability to associate user-provided keywords, often known as *tags*, with artchive images now, similar to places like flickr.

these replace the categories system we used before (where you would choose from 'photography', 'flora', etc.). all current images now use these category words as their tags; so that information is not lost.

right now, consider this in "BETA" mode -- so its kinda testing, but you should still use it. i will fix bugs as they pop up.

the system will (hopefully) support language translation, so go ahead and type words in languages of your choice, and we will work behind the scenes to make them connect. in other words, if you enter, say, the german word for PHOTOGRAPHY, it should show up as PHOTOGRAPHY to english readers. or something like that!

right now, the searching part of this doesnt work; but that is next. i just wanted to get the input/editing part going, so you all could start entering information. on the artchive editing page, you will see both a pulldown menu, like before, and a blank area to type text. the pulldown menu now reflects a sampling of what are popular tags. when in doubt, you can just type yours in the blank and ignore the pulldown.

further reference -- Folksonomy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia <en.wikipedia.org>

Replies:
Re: categories are dead; ..

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.