SITO / Discussions / sito.id.ndl
Re: Fulla Liberation
by Gavin [ndl SITOme]  2007-04-14 06:57:40 [18546]
(Hi Jon - thanks for all the time and effort you've put into sito by the way)

I've held off from replying to the comments about this image not wanting to "fan the flames". However, perhaps a clarification of my intentions behind the image would be a good idea:

The title "Fulla Liberation" is both a reference to the Fulla Doll and the Barbie Liberation Organization. As well as being an English pun (the world "fulla" sounding like "full-of"). I'm rather fond of puns and the way they suggest a plurality of meaning.

The message in the speech balloon (the dolls voice box as it were) is intended to be inspirational, pro-feminist, self-empowering and anti-patriarchal. In this regard it could just as well be a Nun Barbie saying "Jesus is a girl", a Senator Barbie saying "The President is a girl" or a Peoples Revolutionary Action Figure saying "Mao is a girl".

If however, you consider calling someone "a girl" an insult (I don't), the meaning of the message is somewhat different... Please understand that I don't mean to imply that all Muslims are patriarchal by this comment (just that some are - as are some Christians, Buddhists, Confusions, Atheists etc...)

Perhaps because of my love of puns I'm rather amused by the fact that "misinterpretations" of the image only seem to help its dissemination. There's also my hope that everyone who spreads it considering it a message of hate only helps more people see it who consider it a message of empowerment. Perhaps this is naive? Perhaps it is reckless?

BTW: With regards to my own religion I'm neither an atheist nor a monotheist. I am somewhat Discordian. I'm also fond of claiming to be a member of The Church of Postmodern Voodoo ;-)

In reply to:
Replies:

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.