SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
Re: Garage band, multi-levels, blendy-blindness
by Root Mugwort [rut SITOme] [email Root Mugwort] 2008-08-22 00:25:54 [21055]
I've got to put in a half-formed opinion here. I lack the art history education to back myself up so I'll fall back on my long though sporadic articipation in the grid. I've seen this argument come around many times and I must reject the idea that those who enjoy blending and encourage others to blend are some sort of stodgy, uncreative, conformists who need the quilters to break us out of our self-imposed prison. I am convinced this is not the case simply by my experience. Creating something that is completely one's own and yet becomes part of something much bigger is, for me, a challenging and exhilarating experience. I agree that there are many ways to collaborate besides making the squares blend seamlessly. I consider thematic and conceptual collaboration to be blending as well. That said, watching the flash animation and watching blendy levels going by - I get no sense of stagnation. The most common question I get when I show it to people who haven't participated is "why are there so many squares?" As with most computer art, I find that I want to reduce the amount of squares and increase the amount of curves. That's just my aesthetic. The Grid, of course, is partial to squares and the square has a big advantage here.

As Stickboy said,

"The prison bars that hold you in, are the jungle gym from which I swing."
In reply to:
Garage band, multi-levels, blendy-blindness
Replies:
To quilt or not to quilt ..
To quilt or not to quilt ..

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.