SITO / Discussions / sito.offtopic
Re: Swastikas (Re: Are we in the hell?)
by jonathan   2001-06-27 19:55:04 [2337]
Roz

You raise many interesting points.

Wa=hat I find interesting is that while a heavy metal satanist rock and roller can wear a cross, Modonna can name herself after the Modonna, the American flag can become art (mockingly so) if done by Jasper Johns, oh the list of symbols that have been 'trashed' given double meanings or other meanings is too long t oi list.

But the swastika still 'means hate and belief in the superiority of one race' - as you said. And I agree.

I think it says something that this symbol cannot be altered - or 'taken back' as those neo-pagan & buddhist types want.

I am glad you brought up Bosnia, Rwanda etc.

A few years back I was at some Holocost (spelling? sorry) rememberence event - the speaker asked if it could ever happen again.

I was rather stunned that the speaker and audience seemed to think that it hasn't happened again - and again and again.

It has of course happened many times since then, on different scales, using different technologies, different words and symbols, but even before Bosnia and the collapse of Yugoslavia it certainly has happened again.

I think some people are waiting for a Swastika to be waved and this blinds them to the realities of the here and now.

thanx Roz

jonathan

In reply to:
Swastikas (Re: Are we in the hell?)

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.