SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
Re: old discussions
by Oliver Reimer [odr SITOme] [email Oliver Reimer] 2002-03-10 17:41:35 [3979]
I enjoy Gridcosm when other people's moves combine in ways that are graphically interesting to me...when the separate contributions add up to something more interesting than could be reasoningly (sic) expected. So, I feel obligated to make tiles that interest me, and as important, interest others. It is a kind of conversation, after all.

As to the postmodern thing about art being in the observer's interpretation - of course. Art that is thin in narrative, sensual values and structure can hardly evoke an interpretation that has any richness or personal value. I say also why bother?

To me it is like when we were kids playing hockey on little patches of ice in backyards, when someone got mad and shot the puck off into the snow drifts. You have to waste a lot of time finding the puck. It's okay of it is by accident .. everyone helps find it. When it is done deliberately you just feel pissed off.

Sometimes when I'm making grid tiles, I think a bit about who will take my pass, or who I hope will take it. I think of it as a conversation-like game. When I have nothing to say I just listen.

What I value most in art is what inspires me to do art or to think about how we understand ourselves as human beings.

As for Freedom. Rules are not the opposite of freedom. Rules provide a structure that let you operate. Gridcosm, has a rigid structure that gives us freedom to play a very freewheeling game. That questionnaire a while back gave me an opportunity to say to yet another person, what a brilliant idea is Gridcosm.

And so on ad nauseum.

ODR

In reply to:
Re: old discussions

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.