SITO / Discussions / sito.id.ern
Re: The Archival Genitalia Project
by Erin Lonergan [ern SITOme] [email Erin Lonergan] 2002-07-04 23:46:38 [4952]
I feel the need to respond to this..... I get a lot of this kind of criticism and normally I do not bother with a response. I find that these critics pass me aside categorizing me with "Howard Stern" without asking or even reading about this project. How much deeper can I go into my issues and being as to admit to the world that I have issues relating to sex. At the age of 29 I am single and full of a past of lovers. There is a void in my life called loneliness that I have been trying to fill with sex and I do not think that I am the only person that has handled it in this way. I am shouting this out to the world under the quilt of "The Archival Genitalia Project" because I am trying to accept that part of my being. I knew no other way to handle my issues other then visual expression. Is drawing a landscape a way of dealing with this issue? Maybe for some, but that is not me. Why do people feel the desire to attack... is it that they are uncomfortable with the subject matter do to their own issue. I personally think so and would I be an artist if I bowed down to these critics and discontinued my work... my passion? Another question that I ask is... my personality is just a loud and confrontational as my work and I also get attacked for the way that I handle myself in discussions ect. Do these critics want me to change my full being to appease them? If so, I find that to be selfish, unreasonable, immature and judgmental. I am not asking anyone to change, stop, or even calm themselves..... just asking to open their minds and try to understand what it is like to be me. As for Cindy Sherman... she is one of my role models and don't you think that before she became known that she was never criticized. I have still read a lot of negative veiws on her work. I do not accept the fact that I am exposing women in a negative way or destroying anything that Cindy has worked for. I am just expressing my attitudes toward sexuality.... what does that have to do with her? How would I express human nature better if I changed the way that I express myself now.... aren't I human?
In reply to:
The Archival Genitalia Project
Replies:
Re: The Archival Genitali..
Re: The Archival Genitali..

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.