SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
Re: Boob job
by Roz [roz SITOme]  2000-09-11 12:39:01 [514]
Dear Mike,

I kind of see it if I squint a little...I mean, I see the overall shape is kind of like an owl.

I think maybe my screen's brightness was just way different from yours, which is why your colors, which are subtle but very complex, looked murky and indistinct. What you do within your expansive images makes more sense now. Clearly they are pretty amazing things. I just don't think that you blend them very well, graphically, with other forms of art.

I tend to be overly (boringly) representative in my panels, but I think yours are often too abstract to be cohesive. The tree is well structured, and the individual panels on 531 could be given form by adjoining panels, but in these you don't allow other people the room to participate in defining the shapes. If you had left a2 and c2 open on 530, you might still have seen a tree take form, but it would have been a collaborative effort, by the will of more than one person, with new elements for you to play with in your own future panels. 531 seems kind of discombobulated. I'm not sure that what GIZ is doing is very collaborative either.

The point of this thing is not to make a random grid of nine different images, nor is it to make a single flawless expanse of an image.

If you had placed a single one of those panels and left it to sprout, I'll bet you would have seen it become something interesting over the next few days. And desiring this effect, you shouldn't just ignore the shapes, like Jon's ghostly lady, that other people place on the grid. You have to make them make sense somehow.

It's like the improvisation game; somebody says "How are you today, little Cindy?" to you, so you have to play the part. (You can get back at them by asking what happened to their other leg and making them hop around for the rest of the game.) If you don't desire this effect, then you're abusing everybody else's creative space by diluting it with uncollaborative work.

If you have a vision for a level, I think Ed made a great example of how you can impose it on the Grid and still let other people participate when he set up level 38.

If you miss me this week, it's because I'm going away for a while...someplace where I won't have a net connection. If you don't miss me, good for you.

Love, Roz

In reply to:
Replies:

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.