SITO / Discussions / sito.synergy.gridcosm
Re: some things not funny
by Thomas C Armagost [tca SITOme] [email Thomas C Armagost] 2003-01-13 01:37:09 [5933]
I didn't say that Jung was a Nazi sympathizer. He wasn't a member of the Nazi party. Perhaps my definition of the word ''collaborator'' is overly rigid. I retract ''collaborator.'' Sorry.

"In 1933, Jung became president of the German organization the General Medical Society for Psychotherapy. His goal was to prevent nazification of the society and to protect its Jewish members. He did this by making the society an international organization with national sections. The cousin of Herman Goering became the president of the German national section in 1933. Goering published a pro-nazi article in the Society's newsletter that led many people to call Jung anti-semitic. Jung resigned as president of the society in 1939, after which Goering declared himself President and moved the headquarters to Berlin. Jung's writings were then banned in Germany."

MKC, do you agree with this assessment of Jung? Carl Jung@Everything2.com <www.everything2.com> Here's another, which is part of a book review. Jung Love <www.firstthings.com>

"Jung did eventually repudiate the Nazis themselves (he even removed the Jewish quota from the club--although it took him until four years after the extermination camps wererevealed to do so). Against accusations of anti-Semitism and Nazi sympathizing, he was able more-or-less successfully to defend himself, largely because he had so many Jewish colleagues and disciples who could testify to his loyalty and assistance. But it remains rue that many of the doctrines the Nazis adopted as their own were indeed central to Jung's worldview."

I'm a big fan of dream journaling and analysis. However, there is a certain ambiguity to Jung's association with the Nazis, I think. The career of rocket scientist Wernher van Braun is similarly tainted.

BTW, did your books discuss Jung's pathological professional jealousy of his collegue Freud? That's another can of worms. ;-)

In reply to:
some things not funny
Replies:
Re: some things not funny
jung

Index of all topics
The Discussions are disabled now and this is only an archive copy.